The Dental Hygiene program uses a selective process and there is no wait list for this program. Completing the prerequisite courses does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
If you are not an admitted and registered student at SCTCC, apply to SCTCC and submit official transcripts prior to completing the Dental Hygiene application.
Dental Hygiene Program Open Application Period:
Dental Hygiene Fall semester start: 14 Dental Hygiene students
Open application period: The Dental Hygienist program open application period is November 1st through February 1st the following year or later if the program is not filled.
Available Program Information:
- Review the Historical Program Applicant Data (PDF)
- Review the available degree under the program options heading (prerequisites and degree requirements for the degree you are interested in pursuing.)
- Maximum retake policy for science classes is 1 science/nutrition course one time, and 1 general education course one time.
- Attend a Dental Hygiene Information Meeting to receive the most current program information (Optional, not mandatory). You may reserve a seat for an informational meeting by signing up online here. For those interested, the meeting will include a tour of the SCTCC Dental Clinic.
Applying to the Dental Hygiene Program and Applicant Selection Process
- If you are not an admitted student at SCTCC, you must apply to SCTCC, submit official transcripts to SCTCC, then submit the Dental Hygiene program application during open application period.
- DH Applicants may apply only after successful completion of 3 of the 5 science/nutrition prerequisite courses.
- Students are ranked in order of GPA in the completed science/nutrition prerequisites and if necessary the GPA of general education courses. In a tying situation preference is given to students who have completed all 5 of the science prerequisites and general education courses.
- The applicants who have not completed all 5 of the science prerequisites by the February 1 application deadline will still be considered for admission. These students will be placed on the alternate list.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher from the prerequisite classes is required (sciences & nutrition) and a minimum GPA of 2.0 must be achieved in each general education course.
- Submit the Dental Hygiene program online application during the open application period.
- Applicants will be ranked using the Dental Hygiene Program Point System.
- Non-accepted applicants are encouraged to reapply during the next program application period after reviewing ways to gain more points on the Point System.
Other Program Requirements
- 3 hours of observation in the SCTCC Dental Clinic is required after you have been selected into the program as one of the 14 students or as an alternate. More information will be sent to you once you have been selected.
- Test-outs for Dental Hygiene (DEHY) courses are not allowed.
- Minnesota Department of Health Services background check required before starting program.
- American Heart Association CPR/AED certification at the Health Care Provider level is required upon admission into the program. Students are encouraged to wait to take the CPR course until after they have submitted the program application and been accepted into the program.
- After submitting the Program Application, if accepted into the program, candidates must have a current Mantoux test completed prior to starting their fall semester classes. In addition, candidates must be vaccinated against the Hepatitis B (HBV) or sign release form. *(HBV series must be completed prior to spring semester of the first year in the core dental hygiene program courses.)
Criminal Background Study:
Any individual who has direct contact with patients and residents at health care facilities licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health must have a criminal background check completed. Results of the study are to be on file in the Dental Hygiene Program before students begin their clinical experiences. Any student who does not pass the criminal background check will not be permitted to participate in clinical experiences. Therefore, the individual is ineligible to progress in the Dental Hygiene Program.
"If you have been arrested, charged or convicted of any criminal offense, you should investigate the impact that the arrest, charge or conviction may have on your chances of employment in the field you intend to study or on your chances to obtain federal, state, and other higher education financial aid."
Criminal background studies are performed annually. Questions and appeals should be direct to the Minnesota Department of Human Services, Licensing Division, 444 Lafayette Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55144-3824. Phone: (651) 296-3971, Fax: (651) 296-1490. Web address: http://mn.gov/dhs/
SCTCC Dental Clinic
The SCTCC dental clinic is located in the Health Sciences Building on the second floor. Anyone can make an appointment for a dental exam, cleaning, radiographs, fluoride treatment and many other preventive services. Call 320-308-5919 to make an appointment. Hours vary each semester and all services are provided by students under the direct supervision of licensed dental hygienists and licensed dentists.