Tools and Templates
The Tools and Templates page houses documents and templates that can assist in course planning and peer review.
Anyone can create an online or hybrid course, which is why quality has become so important. How will students know where to go in your course? How will they access the information you have given them?
Creating a quality course will ensure the best potential for student engagement and success.
Introduction to the SCTCC Approach to Quality
SCTCC uses a tiered approach toward developing high-quality online courses based on the nationally-recognized Quality Matters process.
Our three-tiered approach is:
- Tier 1 - Faculty Self-Assessment: faculty members are encouraged to use the Online Course Readiness Self Assessment. This tool was developed by the Online Learning committee as a foundation document which would help provide some criteria a faculty member could use in evaluating the design and construction of their hybrid and online courses.
- Tier 2 - QualityMatters™ Local Faculty Peer Review: once a faculty member has revised the course to address any concerns he/she found in the Online Course Readiness Self Assessment, the faculty member is encouraged to identify some peers at SCTCC with whom the course could be shared for an informal peer review utilizing the Quality Matters™ rubric.
- Tier 3 - QualityMatters™ National Course Review: once a course has successfully completed its local peer review, the faculty member may wish to request a national review of the course through QualityMatters™ for certification purposes. This process uses a team of outside reviewers to provide feedback and evaluation of the course within the framework of the QualityMatters™ Rubric.
SCTCC is a subscriber to QualityMatters™ in affiliation with Minnesota Online and the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.
Quality Matters (QM) is a faculty-centered, peer review process that is designed to certify the quality of online and blended courses. QM is a leader in quality assurance for online education and has received national recognition for its peer-based approach and continuous improvement in online education and student learning. QM subscribers include community and technical colleges, colleges and universities, K-12 schools and systems, and other academic institutions.
MyQM is a personalized, secure area of the Quality Matters Program website. It is a real-time data repository for your insitution's complete QM Program history and involvement.
MyQM offers at-a-glance access to your institution's involvement with the QM Program. It tracks individuals at your institution who are active with the Quality Matters Program - listing trainings, peer reviewer eligibility, courses submitted for review, courses reviewed by those at your institution, attendance at conferences and events, and more.
Upon entering MyQM, you have the ability to:
- Update your profile including contact information
- Access all QM Program Activity associated with your profile (i.e., training activity, course reviews)
- Access all QM Program Activity associated with your institution (IR accounts only)
- View courses submitted for review
- See real time training registrations
- Access a current list of eligible peer reviewers for your institution (IR accounts only)