President Helens "Special Segment" on WJON, AM1240
SCTCC President Joyce Helens is a regular guest on WJON Radio for a “Special Segment” – a once a month, 20-minute conversation showcasing our college.
"A Higher Degree"
President Joyce Helens joins other local college presidents for the column, "A Higher Degree," published in the St. Cloud Times.
Her messages are below.
President Joyce Helens began her leadership role at St. Cloud Technical & Community College July 1, 2006.
Under her vision and guidance, SCTCC has:
- Been a leader in good stewardship of the campus Master Plan to support student needs:
- Led MnSCU campuses by becoming one of the first tobacco-free campuses in 2010.
- Increased cooperation with other MnSCU campuses, in particular SCTCC’s sister institution St. Cloud State University, to share resources. These include telecommunication systems, security, student housing, institutional research, and curriculum.
- Added new programs that meet the ever-changing needs of the region, including Health Information Technology (2006), Health Data Specialist (2011) and Nuclear Energy Technician (2011).
- Expanded to a comprehensive community college in 2010, offering the Associate in Arts degree in liberal arts and sciences in addition to its valuable technical programs.
- Become one of the fastest growing colleges in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.
- 2008 Honor Award from the American Institute of Architects for the Workforce Center Addition and Renovation, which allowed for a strong partnership between the college and center to help get Minnesotans trained and back to work. (Architect: Perkins + Will).
- August 2011 grand opening of Health Sciences Building, an acquisition and renovation to provide cutting-edge simulation labs for signature programs in healthcare. The facility offers a fully functioning dental clinic that provides service to low-income members of the community. The facility also includes simulation labs for sonography and surgical technology, an emergency room and ambulance simulator as well as an on-road ambulance for training, and a variety of nursing simulation facilities.
- 2012-13 renovation and expansion of SCTCC's automotive technology, auto body, and medium/heavy truck programs to increase capacity and meet the demand for skilled workers in these areas.
- 2012-13 acquisition and renovation of facility for digital learning commons and student activities center.
► Greater St. Cloud Economic Development Council
► Granite City Rotary
► St. Cloud Chamber of Commerce
► Stearns/Benton Workforce Center Council
► Benton County Economic Development Executive Committee
► Executive director, University of Alaska Statewide System Corporate Programs
► Dean and chief instructional officer, University of Alaska Anchorage
► President, Peninsula College, Washington
► Executive dean (founding dean), Continuing Education & Economic Development, Collin County Community College, Texas
Her awards and honors include:
► A Woman of Honor, Alaska Federation of Business & Professional Women
► Chancellor's Award for Excellence, University of Alaska Anchorage
► Governor's Affirmative Action Policy Council Commendation, Washington State