Need help figuring out how to get your degree?
We can help you every step of the way—from choosing a degree…to deciding what classes you’ll need…to sharpening your study skills.
Create an education plan & determine your course schedule
The more clarity you have about the reasons you’re pursuing higher education, the more motivated you’re likely to be as you move through the plan you develop. Creating your Education Plan involves deciding what you want to study, what degree/certificate you’re aiming for, and mapping out the classes you’ll need to take.
Counselors are available to help students clarify educational goals; identify program options; make decisions about degrees; and select courses that fulfill a student's degree requirements, transfer plans, and educational goals.
The following links include self-help resources in developing your Education Plan.
- Education Plan GPS Life Plan
- SCTCC Programs and Majors
- Your Guide to Paying for College
- SCTCC Financial Aid Office
Sharpen your study skills
Success in college may require the use of new skills and strategies. Numerous tips are available through the links below. Counselors are available to discuss these and other strategies that you can use to succeed academically and to help you develop your educational goals.
- Prepare for academic success—before you actually start classes, there are many things you can do to help you succeed in the classroom.
Here are some examples.
- Study skills and strategies—college-level course work can often be more demanding than what you may have experienced in high school. Here are some resources to help you improve your academic skills.
Goals+Plans=Success (GPS LifePlan)
Study guides and strategies
Find a tutor
If you’re struggling in a course, talk to your counselor. He or she can point you in the right direction for the academic help you may need. You may also explore the services listed here.
- Tutoring is available for many college courses through the Center for Academic Success. Tutors are available in math, writing, and course-specific areas.
- TRiO offers academic advising and monitoring of academic progress, tutoring assistance in specific courses, and a Summer Institute for new TRiO students.
Make an appointment with an academic advisor
Northway Building Room 1-312