Interested in becoming a tutor?
The Mary Stangler Center for Academic Success would love to have you! There are various criteria depending on the subject you are interested in tutoring. For more information, contact Kerby Plante, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peer tutors provide individual and small group tutoring sessions in specific subject-areas. The peer tutor facilitates learning by encouraging the student to become a successful, independent learner. The purpose of tutoring is to increase and enhance mastery of concepts or applications of a specific course of study. Peer tutors integrate effective study and learning strategies to maximize the potential for academic progress.
- Completed 12 credits of college level course work
- Currently enrolled as an SCTCC student
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
- Received an A or B in courses representative of subjects to be tutored
- Recommendation by at least one instructor in the subject area(s) to be tutored
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport with students and tutor in an academic setting
- Successful completion of Tutor Training by the end of the first full semester of employment
- Tutor students in specific course material and integrate study and learning strategies to promote independent learning
- Attend monthly staff development meetings
- Other projects and tasks as assignment by the CAS staff
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Participate in performance evaluations
- Complete the SCTCC Mary Stangler Center for Academic Success application
- Subject-area proficiency exam
- Interview with the Director and the Math, Science or Writing Coordinator(s)
Peer tutors who are CRLA certified and have at least one year of experience are eligible for promotion to the Lead Tutor position. For more information about this opportunity, contact Kerby Plante at email@example.com.
Front Desk Staff:
The CAS also has an employment position as a Front Desk Staff member. The front desk staff greets students when they come into the CAS and assist students with the check-in process.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to stay organized
- Willingness to initiate conversation with students that enter the CAS
- Greet students as they enter the CAS
- Help answer questions regarding the CAS
- Manage schedules for tutoring and advising
- Enforce policies of the CAS
- Complete the SCTCC Mary Stangler Center for Academic Success application form
- Interview with the Director