In this course the student will learn the basics of electricity and electronics. The student will study the sources of electricity, circuits, magnetism, resistance, voltage and amperage. Students will learn about diodes, transistors and solid-state devices. Lab work will give the students hands on experience with digital meters, power supplies and oscilloscopes.
This course also covers the operation, service techniques and diagnosis of most types of body electrical components. The student will learn about starter and alternator testing and replacement. The lab work will develop skills in repairing today's high tech accessories.
Student Learning Outcomes
- examine electrical theory
- work safely with electricity
- relate electricity to the vehicle electrical systems
- use electrical test equipment
- develop diagnostic trouble finding skills
- develop understanding of the operation of vehicle electrical components and testing procedures
- examine vehicle body electrical systems and identify problem area
- test and record circuit conditions
- identify failing component
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.