Meets Mn Transfer Curriculum Goal Area 1 Communication. This course focuses on research and argument, emphasizing contemporary issues. The course develops the writing, research, analytical, and peer evaluation skills necessary to succeed academically, professionally and personally. Students will produce for grading at least 6,500 words during the semester, including an extensive research paper. This course can be used in place of ENGL 1100 - Writing for the Workplace.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the writing process through invention, organization, drafting, revision, editing and presentation.
- Participate effectively in groups with emphasis on listening, critical and reflective thinking, and responding.
- Locate, analyze, evaluate, and synthesize in a responsible manner material from diverse sources and points of view.
- Select appropriate communication choices for specific audiences.
- Construct logical and coherent argument.
- Use authority, point of view, and individual voice and style in writing.
- Employ syntax and usage appropriate to academic disciplines and the professional world.
- Demonstrate the correct use of citation styles appropriate for academic/professional writing (e.g. MLA, APA).
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.