Students will study the uses of these process in industry, fundamentals of the process, and safety concerns connected with the Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), along with an introduction into Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), the types of power sources used with these two processes, and other related safety working conditions in the welding field. Time will be spent in the lab developing skills using the SMAW and GMAW processes. Welds will be made in the flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead positions. Written and Fundamental tests will be done in accordance with the American Welding Society (AWS) SENSE curriculum and code books.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrates proper use and inspection of personal protection equipment (PPE).
- Demonstrates proper safe operation practices in the work area.
- Demonstrates proper use and inspection of ventilation equipment.
- Demonstrates proper Hot Zone operation.
- Demonstrates proper work actions for working in confined spaces.
- Demonstrates proper use of precautionary labeling and MSDS information.
- Performs safety inspections of SMAW, GMAW equipment and accessories.
- Makes minor external repairs to SMAW, GMAW equipment and accessories.
- Operates and set up for SMAW, GMAW operations on carbon steel.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.