Students will study the fundamentals and the safety concerns of the two wire feeding processes; Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) and Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW). Within this study the students will cover five major groups: Power Sources, Shielding Gases, Methods of Transfer, Electrodes, and Limitations. Time will be spent in the lab developing skills using the GMAW, FCAW processes. Welds will be made in the flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead positions. Written and Fundamental tests will be done in accordance with the American Welding Society (AWS) SENSE curriculum and code books.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate proper use and inspection of personal protection equipment (PPE).
- Demonstrate proper safe operation practices in the work area.
- Perform safety inspections of GMAW, FCAW equipment and accessories.
- Make minor external repairs to GMAW, FCAW equipment and accessories
- Operate and sets up for FCAW operations on carbon steel.
- Operate and sets up for GMAW operations on carbon steel, stainless steel, and aluminum.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.