Meets MN Transfer Curriculum Goal Area 6 Humanities- This course is an introduction to the visual arts. Students will be introduced to the processes, principles, and purposes of visual art. Students will explore the visual elements and principles of design, will learn about the media of the visual arts, will learn about the history of the visual arts, and will learn to evaluate artists¿ work. Activities will include text reading, slide lectures, films, and museum/gallery tours.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate an awareness of the variety of visual art forms and art works.
- Identify major artworks and monuments from western and non-western origins.
- Describe artworks and analyze artists¿ choices using the formal language of the visual arts.
- Compare and contrast works of art using the language of the visual arts.
- Demonstrate an understanding that artworks are expressions of values within a historical, social, and cultural context.
- Demonstrate the ability to respond critically to works of visual art.
- Articulate informed responses to works of visual arts using the language of the visual arts.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.