The popularity of the automatic and automated manual transmission in the medium and heavy-duty truck industry continues to grow. Students will study theory and operation of both automatic and automated manual transmissions in the classroom. Develop hands on skills in the lab by practicing rebuilding of an operational Allison automatic transmission. Lab work will include preventive maintenance on various automatic transmissions, diagnostics and repairs on a variety of trucks with Allison automatic transmissions as well as numerous automated manual transmissions.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate safe working skills during repair procedures, follow MN pollution control Agency regulations.
- Compare and contrast Automatic VS. Automated manual transmissions, including applications and properties.
- Perform automatic transmission overhaul procedures using manufacturer data and procedures.
- Determine transmission component condition for reuse.
- Analyze automatic and automated manual transmission performance to determine necessary service and repair.
- Perform automatic transmission replacement according to manufacturer service data.
- Diagnose automatic and automated manual transmission computer control systems and fault codes.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.