The refinish process includes many procedures and products. This course will look at the steps necessary to complete a variety of basic refinish practices. Students will be introduced to a variety of subjects related to the refinish process including abrasives, undercoats, and topcoats. Emphasis will be put on spray gun setup, spray techniques, and product application.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Apply refinishing safety practices.
- Identify and explain appropriate refinishing process.
- Select appropriate materials according to the technical data sheets.
- Demonstrate surface preparation techniques according to materials being applied.
- Show proper paint gun techniques.
- Perform proper mixing of refinish materials according to the technical data sheets.
- Apply base coat and clear coat according to Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair (I-CAR), National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF), and manufacturer standards.
- Explain refinish material safety and environmental hazards.
- Prepare plastic substrate for the refinish process in accordance with technical data sheets.
- Identify differences between solvent and waterborne refinish materials.
- Demonstrate safe shop operation practices.
- Perform masking techniques to industry standards.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.