This course is intended to fulfill course requirements for the Cardiovascular Technology program. Catheterization Lab Fundamentals I focuses on diagnostic procedures that are performed in the cardiac catheterization lab. Students will learn the history of coronary angiograms, myocardial circulation, catheter recognition as well as basic catheterization techniques for a right and left heart catheterization. Students will have the opportunity to calculate Fick cardiac output measurements for evaluation.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Define selected terms related to cath lab procedures, hemodynamic monitoring, and coronary angiography.
- Analyze hemodynamic data and calculate Fick Cardiac Outputs and associated parameters.
- Compare and select appropriate catheter for stated procedure.
- Describe the techniques used in completing a routine right heart cath on the normal adult patient.
- Describe the techniques used in completing a routine left heart cath with coronaries on the normal adult patient.
- Summarize history of cardiac catheterization and the progression of the procedure over time.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.