This course is intended to fulfill course requirements for the Cardiovascular Technology program. Catheterization Lab Fundamentals II is a continuation of ICVT 1424 Catheterization Lab Fundamentals I. Learners will gain in-depth knowledge of cardiac medication and its use. This course has additional emphasis on heart failure, advanced cardiovascular diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, percutaneous coronary intervention procedures, cardiac surgical procedures, pacemakers and electrophysiology.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Define selected terms related to percutaneous coronary interventions, and cardiac surgical procedures.
- Compare and select appropriate interventional catheter for stated procedure.
- Describe the C/V Techs role in angioplasty/stent placement and other interventional procedures.
- Describe the proper use of cardiac medications during a cardiac cath procedure.
- Describe the C/V Techs role in a variety of electrophysiology studies, temporary and permanent pacemaker procedures.
- Discuss the use and function of an intra-aortic balloon pump.
- Analyze hemodynamic data & calculate valve areas.
- Identify surgical instruments used in permanent pacemaker implantation.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.