Meets Mn Transfer Curriculum Goal Area 6 - Humanities and Fine Arts. This course is for students with little or no voice training as well as those who wish to continue previous vocal training. Class Voice is designed to offer the opportunity to study the voice as an instrument in an individual and small group setting. Students will examine the history of voice and develop fundamental singing skills through in-class performance of standard vocal literature. These fundamentals will include principles of voice production, breathing, tone placement, resonance, articulation, and song interpretation.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop basic skills of singing, including vocal technique (in speech and singing) and solo vocal performance.
- Define basic vocal and musical terminology.
- Discover strategies for learning a song and performing it effectively.
- Demonstrate an understanding and thoughtful evaluation of a song's character and mood.
- Foster a respectful environment for thoughtful and receptive critiques of peers and concert performances.
- Improve self-awareness and self-confidence through public performance.
- Develop an appreciation for a variety of vocal styles.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.