Typography includes laying out and arranging type to become appealing when displayed. Copywriting entails writing text for advertisements and marketing pieces. This course will combine both of these skills to teach students how to integrate typography and designs that compliment written copy. Students will study typography and copywriting techniques, tactics and creative strategies used to motivate consumers, effectively position products, and build brand awareness.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate typographic terminology
- Identify typefaces and letterforms.
- Discuss the role of the copywriter in the planning, creation, and execution of advertising communication.
- Identify the goals, purpose and functions of copywriting.
- Create product benefits that draw readers into the advertising copy.
- Develop attention-getting type using contemporary color theory models.
- Apply copywriting skills to a variety of messages used for specific media.
- Design advertisements using typography and copy elements that deliver a complete message to the consumer.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.