This course will emphasize the identification and use of standard and special cutting tools. Conventional cutting tools will be examined as to their application in machining. Carbides, cermets, diamond and cubic boron carbide type cutting inserts will be examined as to their use in machining and manufacturing.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Understand the various grades and number system of carbide cutting tools.
- Proficiency in using the correct carbide tool for the material being machined.
- Experience in determining which cutting tool will work best to machine features found on the blueprint.
- Decipher the identification of lathe toolholders and their correct inserts.
- Identify all common cutting tools used in lathe, mill and drill machining applications.
- Proficiency in identifying and using a broach and shims to produce an internal keyway.
- Experience in determining cutting speeds and feeds for a variety of cutting tools used in the machining industry.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.