The goal of data analytics is to gain knowledge and communicate conclusions drawn from data. This is an introductory data analysts course using commonly available data management systems. Throughout the course the students will make extensive use of spreadsheets including formulas, graphs, and pivot tables. Students will also create database queries to gather and examine data. This course covers concepts such as percentages, trends and basic statistical concepts and database fundamentals. The course is targeted towards individuals who would like to apply the practices and potential use of large-scale data analytics to data sets.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate an understanding of the analytical process
- Compare different data analysis tools.
- Recognize how data analysis tools automate and enhance the data
- Identify the role statistical concepts play in analytics.
- Apply basic spreadsheet modeling for use in analytics.
- Create flexible data aggregations using pivot tables.
- Represent data visually using spreadsheet tools.
- Employ advanced spreadsheet functions to analyze data.
- Create a basic data model and connect to external data.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of databases in the
- Build a basic database model.
- Utilize queries to perform basic analytical tasks.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.