Students will be exposed to different pathologies of the abdomen organs, blood vessels, thyroid, and neonatal head. This course will focus on ultrasound findings, scanning techniques, patient history, laboratory data, and other imaging modalities to help better understand how to interpret pathology. Emphasis will focus on descriptive and anatomical terminology, clinic data, grayscale imaging and Doppler characteristics as seen with various pathologies.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Evaluate normal and abnormal ultrasound appearances of the abdominal organs.
- Determine normal and abnormal ultrasound appearances of the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
- Investigate pertinent patient history and laboratory data that apply to the abdomen, thyroid and parathyroid.
- Evaluate scanning techniques, transducer selection and scanning protocols of the abdomen, thyroid and neonatal head.
- Identify ultrasound artifacts.
- Analyze Doppler characteristics of the abdomen and thyroid vessels.
- Complete mock diagnostic medical sonographer worksheets.
- Incorporate pathology case studies of abdominal organs and blood vessels, neck, musculoskeletal, and neonatal brain into sonography practice.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.