Meets Mn Transfer Curriculum Goal Area 6 - Humanities and Fine Arts. Music is a creative way to promote communication between human beings, who have been making music for as long as humans have been communicating. From Paleolithic flute songs to modern electronic installations, live music expresses the world around us: nature and urban environments, religion, life events: births, weddings, funerals, class divisions, politics, and serves as popular entertainment. This class will explore how live musical events promote communication and express the values and perceptions of human beings. No musical background required.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Identify basic characteristics of live music.
- Develop listening skills related to basic musical structure.
- Apply basic musical terminology.
- Explore live music through various methodologies and cultural lenses.
- Identify relationships between types of live music.
- Articulate opinions surrounding live music.
- Develop writing skills to convey musical ideas developed during the course.
- Attend live musical performances in class and outside of class.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.