Expands students' ability to successfully use reading strategies for achievement in college courses. Course material will focus on textbooks and other types of reading materials prevalent in technical courses. This course is developmental and does not fulfill a general studies requirement.
Student Learning Outcomes
- recognize personal reading attitudes and characteristics that influence positive or negative reading comprehension
- identify and apply strategies for selecting topics, main ideas and appropriate details from several types of reading material including graphs, charts, and illustration
- identify different patterns of organization commonly used in reading
- describe strategies that assist with retention of information in specific disciplines
- demonstrate use of resources such as internet, manuals, professional journals or trade journals and other media resources