Students will study the fundamentals and safety concerns connected with the Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) equipment. Within this study the students will cover five major groups: Power Sources, Shielding Gases, Current Selection, Torch Types, and Limitations. Time will be spent in the lab developing skills using the GTAW process for carbon steel, austenitic stainless steel, and aluminum. Welds will be made in the flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead positions. Written and Fundamental tests will be done in accordance with the American Welding Society (AWS) SENSE curriculum and code books.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate proper use and inspection of personal protection equipment (PPE).
- Demonstrate proper safe operation practices in the work area.
- Perform safety inspections of GTAW equipment and accessories.
- Make minor external repairs to GTAW equipment and accessories.
- Operate and sets up for GTAW operations on carbon steel, austenitic stainless steel, and aluminum.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.