With the knowledge and experience gained in Diesel Engine Fundamentals, students will practice engine rebuilding, adjustment, and troubleshooting skills on medium to heavy-duty diesel engines in the lab. Students will follow heavy-duty engine in frame overhaul procedures according to manufacturer guidelines. Students will focus on the operation, maintenance, and repair of various fuel, exhaust, intake, lube and cooling systems.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Apply engine system repairs and maintenance according to Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) guidelines.
- Demonstrate safe working skills during repair procedures, follow MN Pollution Control Agency regulations when handling and disposing of engine fluids, cleaning agents, and removed/replaced engine components.
- Determine fuel, exhaust, intake, lubrication, and cooling system operation.
- Inspect, clean, and evaluate engine component condition for re-use in accordance to OEM guidelines.
- Contrast differences and similarities between various engine manufacturers.
- Analyze engine performance and operation.
- Perform precise assembly and adjustment procedures.
- Describe and practice the use of service information software.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.