Meets Mn Transfer Curriculum Goal Area 6 - Humanities and Fine Arts. American popular music has reflected and influenced major social changes from the early 1940s to today. Significant popular music examples reflect the time and space in which they were created and offer a unique study of American social conditions over a musical timeline. This class will examine such musical examples through topics that include Technology, Theatre, Dance, Race, Gender, Identity, and World Music Influences.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Research basic historical knowledge of influences in American popular music.
- Identify basic characteristics of American popular music.
- Develop listening skills related to basic musical structure.
- Define basic musical terminology.
- Examine writings on American popular music.
- Explore the climates behind American popular music.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.