This course introduces and covers key introductory components of the Culinary Arts program at SCTCC as well as an introduction to the Food Service industry including historical/foundational practices, standards of professionalism, industry-specific terminology, the use of weights/measurements, equipment/tool identification, safe equipment/tool usage, and proper cleaning and sanitization of equipment/tools. This course will also cover knife identification, knife use, and proper care of knives.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Identify and display proper standards of professionalism within the
Food Service industry.
- Define various segments within the Food Service industry and identify
various employment opportunities within each segment.
- Explain various historical/foundational practices within the Food
Service industry and apply practices to current methodologies.
- Learn, utilize and apply kitchen terminology to all aspects of food
- Identify by sight equipment/tool items within a kitchen
- Demonstrate proper use of scales and weights/measurements.
- Demonstrate proper use of, and proper cleaning/sanitization procedures
for multiple kitchen equipment items.
- Identify various types/parts of kitchen knives and demonstrate
appropriate knife usage and proper knife care.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.