Meets Mn Transfer Curriculum Goal Area 1 - Oral Communication. This course helps students become familiar with, and use, a variety of techniques for effective public speaking. These skills will empower students with the ability to more effectively achieve communicative goals in their professional and personal lives. Public speaking skills built in this class can help individuals in a range of communicative settings; from a large keynote addresses to interpersonal job interviews.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop understanding of public speaking as an interactive process through audience analysis and evaluation of speeches.
- Demonstrate the components of effective speaking.
- Compose and effectively deliver a research-based informative speech.
- Compose and effectively deliver a research-based persuasive speech.
- Compose and effectively deliver a special occasion speech.
- Compose and effectively deliver an impromptu speech.
- Examine the role of speech-making in society.
- Relate critical listening skills to persuasive messages.
- Analyze ethical issues related to public speaking.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.