This course covers key areas of law relevant to businesses. An overview is provided of civil laws that impact businesses including constitutional law, statutory law, common law and administrative regulations. The US legal framework is studied. Case law will be an integral part of the course as students learn to apply the law to business situations. Major content areas include the US legal system, business ethics, tort and contract law, employment, consumer and environmental law.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Explain business law concepts and apply these concepts to relevant business issues.
- Evaluate the fundamentals of business law.
- Contrast sources of law including constitutional law, statutory law and case law and administrative law.
- Distinguish between resolving legal disputes through the court system and/or alternative dispute resolution.
- Evaluate the legal consequences of business decisions.
- Identify and analyze ethical issues that arise in business environment.
- Analyze a legal issue arising in the business environment.
- Assess alternative outcomes in legal case studies.
- Recognize the global and cultural environment in which businesses function.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.