Students will study and practice procedures for estimating quantities and costs as they relate to public works projects. Topics include concrete and asphalt estimating in the preliminary, final and as-built phases of construction. Students will be introduced to materials testing as well as study construction materials, construction methods, inspection and quality control. The students will explore standard contracts and specification documents.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Review construction and material terms.
- Interpret plans and specifications.
- Perform materials testing procedures.
- Evaluate and analyze testing results through written reports.
- Identify construction procedures as related to civil engineering and land surveying.
- Estimate cost and materials for civil engineering projects.
- Determine technician, designer and inspector duties as required for civil engineering.
- Compute earthwork, area, volume and linear distances as related to civil engineering.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.