This course presents a study of basic medical terminology used in the study of human body systems. Included in the course is analysis of prefixes, suffixes, word roots, combining forms, plural forms, symbols and abbreviations. Spelling, definitions, use, and pronunciation of medical terms are part of the course. Students will learn the rules for separating medical terms into their word parts.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Define medical terminology word parts including prefixes, suffixes, word roots and combining forms.
- Analyze medical terms by separating the terms into prefixes, suffixes, and word roots as appropriate.
- Construct medical terms using word parts for various body systems and anatomical body regions.
- Spell medical terms correctly.
- Interpret medical abbreviations and correctly apply abbreviations in review of medical reports and case studies.
- Pronounce medical terms.
- Use resources to answer questions based on medical terms used in case studies and medical reports.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.