In this course the student will have the opportunity to develop their understanding of human behavior, mental health disorders, psychiatric medications and therapeutic communication skills. The student will also examine nursing interventions, the cognitive affect, and behavioral functioning of clients within a legal and ethical framework.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Investigate the role of therapeutic communication and defense mechanisms in the nursing care of the client with mental health disorders.
- Describe HIPAA and its role in mental health care delivery.
- Apply the concepts of personality development and developmental tasks related to mental health nursing.
- Identify classifications, uses, actions, side effects, nursing considerations and interventions for selected psychiatric medications.
- Differentiate physical and behavioral symptoms, treatment modalities and nursing care of mental health disorders.
- Apply the concepts of crisis to mental health nursing and the nurse¿s role in crisis situations.
- Examine the characteristics and treatment of substance abuse.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.