Meets MN Transfer Curriculum Goal Areas 6 and 8 - Humanities and Fine Arts, Global Perspective. This course will examine musical soundscapes, traditional instruments, and cultural perspectives of traditional, folk, and pop genres from major musical traditions in Africa, Asia, the Americas, Europe, and the Middle East. Students will develop basic skills in critical listening, intercultural awareness, analysis, and writing about music. Previous knowledge of musical instrument or notation is not required.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop a greater international awareness of the world through music
- Demonstrate knowledge of diverse cultural, social, religious and linguistic differences in musical examples
- Examine each musical system in its cultural context, including various musical ensembles, instruments, ceremony and ritual attached to the music itself
- Expand student's cultural perspectives outside of their immediate realm of experience
- Explain basic musical terminology appropriate to music studies
- Develop music listening skills to appreciate the similarities and differences between the many diverse cultural music's.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.