This course will enable students to recognize the surgical technologist as an essential part of the medical team providing surgical care to patients in an operating room setting. Students will study the total operating room environment, which includes preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative care. Emphasis will be placed on safety and the principles of aseptic technique.
Student Learning Outcomes
- describe the operating room team and environment
- discuss theory relating to preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative patient care
- identify general equipment and supplies related to surgical procedures
- identify professional standards and behavior of surgical technologist
- discuss operating room policies and procedures, preference cards and documentation
- discuss aseptic technique and safety for the student and patient
- discuss attitudes toward death and dying and the grief process
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.