This course will enable the student to be a functional member of the surgical team in the capacity of a surgical technologist. During this 3-week rotation, the student will become an independent practitioner by performing all of the duties of a surgical technologist in the cases the student is assigned to scrub. The student will sharpen the skills learned in prior surgical technology theory and lab courses. The student will complete any experience with the central processing, unit support, and instrument room personnel that was not available to the student in SURG 1462.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Perform pre-operative skills specific to a surgical technologist
- Perform intra-operative skills specific to a surgical technologist
- Perform post-operative skills specific to a surgical technologist
- Plan procedural activities from start to finish
- Integrate procedural activities from start to finish
- Evaluate your performance
- Work independently with minimal assistance
- Assist with support personnel duties
- Assist circulating nurse with perioperative duties including documentation
- Evaluate patient follow through from admissions, to surgery, to PACU and to discharge
- Exhibit professionalism
- Display dependability
Complete the clinical case requirements set forth by the AST; Core Curriculum for Surgical Technology Sixth Edition. Refer to official course syllabus and outline, clinical folder and/or Surgical Technology O.R. Clinical Student Handbook for detailed description of Surgical Rotation Case Requirements.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.