This course covers the preparation of payroll in compliance with all federal and state payroll and employment laws. By learning federal and state labor laws, students will be able to effectively calculate employee paychecks, maintain payroll records and prepare relevant tax forms. The recording of payroll into the general ledger is reviewed. A comprehensive hands on quarter and year end project is completed to demonstrate practical application of topics covered in the course.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Calculate wages and salaries in compliance the Fair Labor Standards
- Compute federal, state, local withholdings and employee deductions and
- Demonstrate an understanding of the payroll impact of federal and state
- Demonstrate an understanding of the calculation, timing and payment
responsibilities of employer payroll liabilities.
- Develop practical working knowledge of proper payroll record keeping
requirements utilizing a computerized payroll accounting system.
- Complete federal and state payroll tax reports.
- Prepare payroll journal entries.
- Complete a comprehensive quarter and year end payroll project that
meets federal and state regulations.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.