This course teaches basic power plant technology, power plant engineering, and energy conversion offered in departments of mechanical engineering and nuclear engineering. The focus of this course is on fossil and nuclear power plants. Students will also learn about other power generating facilities, such as Hydro, Solar, and Wind.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate and understanding of thermodynamics.
- Explain how a condensate feed-water systems and circulating water systems function.
- Describe the operation of a power plant.
- Define how thermal fission reactors function.
- Describe the basic function of nuclear power generation.
- Identify all the other alternative power generation sources and their strengths and weaknesses.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the environmental aspects and impacts of power generation.
- Troubleshoot, repair, and analyze equipment used in power generation.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.