In this course students will increase their proficiency in reading strategies, vocabulary acquisition and comprehension. Using academic and professional reading material, students will learn a set of reading techniques to help them become strategic readers and learners. Students will read increasingly longer, diverse, and more complex college-level and expository texts. They will learn to apply these reading strategies to concurrent and subsequent courses.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Analyze textbook features for comprehension.
- Apply various notetaking methods.
- Utilize various context clues for determining word meaning.
- Identify topic, stated and implied main ideas, and major and minor details.
- Evaluate a variety of college-level texts.
- Determine purpose and tone in expository and narrative texts.
- Discriminate facts versus opinions.
- Demonstrate digital literacy appropriate for college level courses.