This course emphasizes critical reading strategies and develops college level vocabulary. It presents college reading as an active process and focuses on strategies for improving that process to succeed in college level courses. Materials represent a variety of academic disciplines and occupational areas. This is a college readiness course and does not fulfill college level course requirements.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Identify patterns of organization in expository text.
- Identify topic, stated and implied main idea, and major and minor supporting details.
- Use vocabulary building and decoding strategies.
- Demonstrate digital literacy appropriate for college course.
- Summarize academic and professional reading material.
- Apply various note-taking strategies.
- Interpret purpose and tone in narrative and expository texts using inferencing techniques.
- Distinguish between factual and opinion statements.
- Analyze author and reader points of view.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.