This course emphasizes critical reading strategies and develops college level vocabulary. It presents college reading as an active process and focuses on strategies for improving that process to succeed in college level courses. Materials represent a variety of academic disciplines and occupational areas. This course is required for students who score 36-61 on the Reading Accuplacer Test.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Identify patterns of organization in expository text.
- Identify topic, stated and implied main idea, and major and minor supporting details.
- Use vocabulary building and decoding strategies.
- Demonstrate digital literacy appropriate for college courses.
- Summarize academic and professional reading material.
- Apply various notetaking strategies.
- Interpret purpose and tone in narrative and expository texts using inferencing techniques.
- Distinguish between factual and opinion statements.