Social media and digital marketing uses social media and web platforms to promote products and services and track progress, success, and engagement in larger marketing campaign goals. This class will focus on the conceptual foundation and practical approach to developing a successful social media and digital marketing plan. This includes learning how to strategically establish and implement goals that optimize social media platforms to reach organization's specific marketing goals. Specific legal and ethical issues surrounding social media and digital marketing will also be examined.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Introduce social media and digital marketing foundations including related theory, terminology, methodology, and models.
- Identify the components of Internet marketing including; affiliate marketing, email marketing, social media marketing, and search engine marketing and their application in a variety of organizations.
- Examine the strengths and weaknesses of various social media campaigns, tools, and technologies to gauge success and/or failure.
- Examine new media trends.
- Evaluate methods for positioning a product or service using social media and digital marketing and determine if methods meet overall brand/product/service goals.
- Analyze social media strategies and their applications to appropriately apply them in a variety of settings.
- Identify the elements of a social media marketing plan and its incorporation into larger integrated marketing communications (IMC).
- Create a social media and digital marketing plan that incorporates research, goals, implementation, and evaluation metrics.
- Set social media and digital marketing goals and analyze their effectiveness within the marketing plan.
& Utilize a variety of social media and digital marketing tools that draw on theoretical frameworks to systematically gauge effectiveness.
- Examine the legal and ethical environment surrounding use of social media and digital marketing.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.