This course will cover advanced statics and physics concepts through the use of calculus and other math skills. It will introduce static force calculations as they are applied to specific rigid bodies. It will also introduce the key concepts of friction, equilibrium, centroids, and center of gravity of structures.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Examine various theoretical and practical concepts of statics used by engineers, physicists, and other scientific professionals.
- Perform calculations using vectors to solve various mechanics problems.
- Determine centroids of 2D and 3D shapes.
- Design free-body diagrams for members of multi-body structures.
- Analyze joint reaction loads for multi-body structures.
- Solve internal loads in beams and cables.
- Determine friction effects on structures.
- Examine the principle of virtual work.
- Communicate how statics theory draws conclusions about everyday real-world situations.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.