Meets MN Transfer Curriculum Goal Area 1 - Written Communication. This course emphasizes analysis, research, and argumentation in writing while building on written communication skills developed through previous college coursework. Students will produce for grading at least 5,000 words during the semester, including a well-developed research paper. This course is not an advanced research class and is instead intended for students who have completed English 1308 or an equivalent course accepted in transfer.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the writing process as it relates to academic writing.
- Apply research methods to academic writing.
- Analyze and synthesize primary and secondary source information from diverse perspectives.
- Document sources using standard format and citation style.
- Analyze and construct logical, coherent, comprehensive, and well-supported claims and arguments.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills in communication choices for specific audiences.
- Participate effectively in groups with emphasis on active listening/observation, critical and reflective thinking, and conscientious responding.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.