This course covers the use of oxy-fuel cutting equipment (OFC) when, welding, cutting, brazing, and the use of the Plasma Arc Cutting (PAC) hand held along with CNC operations and Air Carbon Arc Cutting (CAC-A) processes. A very important part of this course will be discussing safety as related to the thermal welding and cutting equipment. Time will be spent in the lab developing skills using the thermal welding and cutting processes. Welds will be made in the flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead positions. Cuts will be made in the flat and horizontal positions. Written and Fundamental tests will be done in accordance with the American Welding Society (AWS) SENSE curriculum and code books.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate proper use and inspection of personal protection equipment (PPE).
- Demonstrate proper safe operation practices in the work area.
- Perform safety inspections of manual OFC, PAC, CAC-A equipment and accessories.
- Make minor external repairs to manual OFC, PAC, CAC-A equipment and accessories.
- Operate and sets up for manual, mechanized, and CNC OFC/PAC operations on carbon steel, austenitic stainless steel, and aluminum.
- Operate and set up for manual CAC-A scarfing and gouging operations on carbon steel.
- Demonstrate proper inspection and operation of equipment used for each welding and thermal cutting process.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.