This course builds on the foundations of the practical nursing curriculum and focuses on the transitional role to the professional level of nursing. Concepts of professional behaviors, ethical and legal issues, communication and technology, and evidenced-based practice are introduced in this course. Students explore the roles and responsibilities within the practice of professional nursing including the nursing process, nursing judgement, and delegation when providing client centered and culturally sensitive care.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Explore nursing care that is client centered, culturally sensitive, and based on the holistic needs of clients.
- Discuss nursing judgement within the scope of practice for the Registered Nurse.
- Examine the role of evidence in determining best nursing practice.
- Explain why information and technology skills are essential for safe client care.
- Recognize professional nursing behaviors, professional boundaries, codes of ethics, practice acts, and legal/ethical frameworks
- Describe delegation and assigning of nursing activities in the healthcare setting.
- Relate the roles and responsibilities within the professional nursing scope of practice as it applies to teamwork and other health care team members.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.