Students will receive the opportunity to observe, perform and demonstrate their abilities with a wide variety of water and wastewater tests commonly performed at a water and/or wastewater treatment facility. Students will interact with other students while performing sampling, preservation and handling of samples as well as when running an analysis. Students will be working in a variety of groups and sharing ideas and skills necessary and expected throughout the industry in performing standardized tests. Students will be required to generate lab reports and complete standard regulatory forms with their data generated from their lab results.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Select and perform lab procedures appropriate for wastewater treatment facility operation and control, while observing and practicing necessary safety practices in a lab setting.
- Improve skills and techniques associated with water and wastewater lab analysis (including quality control), develop procedural techniques and relate lab results to wastewater treatment facility operation and control.
- Generate, organize, manipulate, formulate, and complete lab spreadsheets, forms and reports required by employers and regulatory agencies.
- Calculate loading rates, percentages, and other mathematical computations related to the data developed from lab analysis in a safe and efficient manner.
- Determine and explain the use of lab ware, chemicals and electronic equipment used during lab analysis, in a safe and efficient manner.
- Develop and demonstrate the ability to interact, collaborate, listen, assist, communicate orally and in writing and share responsibilities with lab partners.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.