Students will be exposed to all operational design and maintenance characteristics of water distribution systems. This will include storage facilities, pump stations, distribution piping, valves, and fittings and associated hydraulics. The course will include a 40-hour internship at a water treatment facility.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Knowledge of selection, application, and operation of various valves and fittings.
- Compare and contrast different types of pipe materials and their application.
- Operate and maintain fire hydrants following industry safety standards.
- Describe different types of storage tanks and the proper application of each type.
- Perform a direct tap and a tap using a saddle into a water main.
- Perform pipe flow capacity and head loss calculations on a distribution system.
- Describe the operation of residential water meters.
- Investigate cross-connections and explain the application of the different types of backflow preventers.
- Describe how water quality is impacted by the water distribution system.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.