Copywriting is a unique writing skill. It's not like writing business documents or academic papers. Copywriters are storytellers who love words and craft them to create messages that sell. Words used by copywriters and how they use them is of vital importance to the overall success of advertising media. This course teaches students to integrate fundamental strategies and to write persuasive advertising copy designed to sell, and build consumer relationships. Students will study copywriting techniques, tactics and creative strategies used to motivate consumers, effectively position products, and build brand awareness.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Describe the theory and principles of using copy to communicate with and persuade consumers.
- Examine the role of the copywriter in the planning, creation, and execution of advertising communication.
- Identity the goals, purpose and functions of writing advertising copy that sells.
- Apply basic readability research to the design of writing effective body copy.
- Create product features and benefits of products that draw readers into the advertising copy.
- Compose attention-getting headlines and benefit-selling body copy.
- Develop copy ideas that get attention, select the audience, and deliver a complete message to the consumer.
- Apply copywriting skills and techniques to a variety of messages used for specific media.
- Differentiate between fair use of existing materials and the need for permission.
Please see eServices for section availability and current pre-req/test score requirements for this course.