The Dental Hygiene program welcomes 14 students each fall semester.
The Dental Hygiene program uses a selective process, and there is no wait list for this program. Completing the prerequisite courses does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
Open application period: The Dental Hygienist program open application period is December 1st through January 15th the following year or later if the program is not filled.
Gain acceptance to the college in the “AA/Pre-Dental Hygiene” major. Apply online Pay $20 application fee Submit high school transcript Required if graduated high school 5 or fewer years ago If the language of the record is not English, a certified translation must be included with the official transcript Submit official college transcript from ALL colleges previously attended If the language or record is not English, a certified course-by-course evaluation that includes GPA and course levels must be provided Submit Accuplacer, ACT, SAT, or MCA test scores Or schedule a time to take the Accuplacer exam at SCTCC or a location near you.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher from the prerequisite science classes and a GPA of 3.0 or higher in the prerequisite general education course is required for the program. The higher the GPA, the higher the rank of the dental hygiene applicant.
- Maximum prerequisite retake policy: Applicants many retake 1 science and 1 general education course to raise the grade. (This is a one time only retake policy).
- Attend a Dental Hygiene Information Meeting to receive the most current program information (optional, not mandatory). You may reserve a seat for an informational meeting by signing up online here. For those interested, the meeting will include a tour of the SCTCC Dental Clinic.
- Preference is given for students who have completed all science and general education courses at the time of application (pending grades and completion dates).
- Applicants will be ranked using the Dental Hygiene Program Point System, in order of cumulative GPA in the completed science prerequisites and general education prerequisites.
- Non-accepted applicants are encouraged to reapply during the next program application period.