Practical Nursing Program Admissions
The Practical Nursing program welcomes 50 full-time, and 8 part-time students each fall and spring semester. Because PN admission is highly selective, you are encouraged to work closely with you Advisor through each step in the process to make sure you're prepared.
Prospective Practical Nursing program students are invited to begin the admissions process by completing the steps outlined below.
- Gain acceptance to the college in the “AA/Pre-Practical Nursing” major
- Apply online
- Pay $20 application fee
- Submit high school transcript
- Required if graduated high school 5 or fewer years ago
- If the language of the record is not English, a certified translation must be included with the official transcript
- Submit official college transcript from ALL colleges previously attended
- If the language or record is not English, a certified course-by-course evaluation that includes GPA and course levels must be provided
- Submit Accuplacer, ACT, SAT, or MCA test scores
- Or schedule a time to take the Accuplacer exam at SCTCC or a location near you
If you are in the Practical Nursing program as part of the mobility program for your nursing degree, please visit the Nursing ADN page for prerequisites for that program.
Courses to take for Practical Nursing diploma only:
Courses to take for Practical Nursing to Nursing (RN) Mobility:
- Complete all program course pre-requisite requirements
- A minimum grade of “C” or better AND cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better is required in all pre-requisite courses
Provide verification of completion of 75-hour Nurse Assistant course or complete HLTH 1402 Nurse Assistant course at SCTCC or submit current proof of registry with the Minnesota Department of Health
Obtain/refresh American Heart Association - Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or complete EMSC 1480 or HBHE 1510 course(s) at SCTCC, be prepared to submit information after program acceptance.
- Apply for admission to the Practical Nursing program.
- Submit ALL official college transcripts not previously provided
- Participate in the TEAS exam when invited
Due to the competitive nature of the Practical Nursing program, admissions processes are highly selective. Applicants are ranked utilizing a point-based rubric. Non-accepted applicants are encouraged to reapply during the next program application period or to consult with an academic advisor to learn about alternative program options.