|► Info Sessions|
|► Tuition & Fees|
|► Career Placement|
Since 2008, SCTCC VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) volunteers have filed over 1,300 state and federal returns amounting to $2.2 million.
Why Choose This Program?
Why get a degree in accounting? Ask an accountant, and you’ll get many answers. Some people just love crunching numbers. Other reasons include: flexibility, variety, and lifelong professional development.
Having an accounting degree gives you the flexibility to work almost anywhere, like firms that specialize in tax preparation or auditing financial data, businesses large and small as well as the government. You can even go into business for yourself. And talk about variety. An accounting degree equips you to work with tax returns, payroll, auditing procedures, new business start-up and ongoing business management, the design of accounting information systems and so much more. Plus, ever-changing tax codes, legal requirements, and technology provide a career landscape that is rich for ongoing professional development.
Are you up for the challenge – and the opportunities? Learn more about our program options.
- Identify and journalize economic transactions.
- Prepare and interpret a complete set of financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Computer literacy in accounting and business application software.
- Apply basic business math concepts and calculations.
- Determine the fair presentation of financial statements by applying audit techniques and report their findings.
- Legal concepts, contract law, and the judicial system.
- General business concepts, business formation, management, and economics.
- Federal and state personal income tax law, filing annual returns, and federal partnership and corporate tax returns.
- Financial and managerial accounting functions in a manufacturing environment.
- Calculate, record, and report payroll and all related payroll taxes.
- All accounting functions in a governmental or non-profit environment.
- A broad knowledge base in the field of accounting, business, and income tax in order to achieve certification within the state of Minnesota.
- Be fully prepared to meet the accounting employment needs of the St. Cloud and surrounding areas.
- Exhibit social consciousness through awareness, volunteerism, and community involvement.
- Understand and apply their ethical role as an accountant.
Career Choices in Accounting
Types of Careers
- Financial Accountant
- Tax Accountant/Tax Preparer
- Managerial Accountant
- Cost Accountant
- Business Manager
- Financial Consultant
- Financial Analysts
- Purchasing Manager
- Business Owner
- CPA Firms
- Service Companies
- Retail Companies
- Manufacturing Companies
- Government Agencies
- Non-profit Organizations
Projected Job Growth
Degrees & Certificates
For students wishing to continue on with their education and become a Certified Public Accountant, transfer pathways to a four-year institution are available but vary from institution to institution.
Accreditations & Credentials
Graduates can be accredited as an Accredited Business Accountant by the American Society of Accountants, and as a Registered Accounting Practitioner by the State of Minnesota.