For more information on benefits available to you, visit the Veteran Services webpage, the Veteran’s Resource Center in room 1-260A, or contact one of the individuals listed below.
Laura Boden, Central Regional Coordinator, MN Dept of Veteran’s Affairs
Office phone: 320.308.5147
Anita Baugh, School Certifying Official
Office phone: 320.308.5936
For veteran’s with disabilities, contact:
Judy Jacobson Berg, Counselor
Office phone: 320.308.5096
SCTCC is honored to have you as part of our learning community. We want to help you on this next phase of your journey and will do our best to help you sort through the options that are right for you. Each veteran's experience is unique, and because of that, it's important to recognize advice on veteran’s benefits is best offered first by agencies responsible for those benefits.
The information below should help you get started.
Veteran's Education Benefits
For assistance determining the types of veteran’s benefits available as well as the process for securing those benefits, access the websites and phone number below.
- GI Bill Web Site: www.gibill.va.gov
- Higher Education Veteran's Programs: mymilitaryeducation.org
- V.A. Education Benefits Toll Free Number - 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GIBill-1)
Continuing GI Bill Payments
To continue receiving GI Bill payments, student veterans are required to do the following:
- Apply at the SCTCC veteran’s office each summer, fall, or spring to re-establish your benefits for the coming semester or school year.
- E-mail the Financial Aid Office of any changes you make to your credit load, address, or major.
- Send your AARTS, SMART or CCAF transcript to the Records Office to have your military education credits evaluated and applied to your college degree requirements.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA.
- Know the policy on repeating a class. You cannot be paid for a course in which you previously received a passing grade (D or better) unless a higher grade is required for the major or is a prerequisite for another course needed in your major.
- Understand possible overpayment reasons and consequences.
Reasons for overpayment:
- Withdrawing from a course without mitigating circumstances and/or dropping below 12 credits.
- Receiving a grade which does not count toward graduation requirements.
- Repeating a class in which you previously received a passing grade.
Consequences of overpayment:
- Repay the overpayment to the VA if you quit school OR
- Future payments will be reduced until the overpayment is paid off
Verify enrollment at end of each month
Go to WAVE at www.gibill.va.gov.
Joint Services Transfer
Have your military transcript sent to SCTCC for us to review for possible transfer of credit.