Do you need help planning your career? We are here to help!
Not everyone knows what career they want to go into, and that’s ok!
If you're motivated and ready to start exploring careers, follow these steps to discover your future with SCTCC.
Current student? Access Focus2 by logging into D2L and going to the Career Services course shell. Focus2 is a career assessment that can help you decide which career is right for you.
- Explore careers and academic programs offered at St. Cloud Technical and Community College and beyond (for transfer).
- The time to complete all four sections averages about 30 minutes.
- Focus2 provides links to more than 300 careers and saves your results for later review.
- When the assessment is completed, schedule an appointment with Lisa Mohr, Career Services Coordinator, to discuss your results.
Next up, take some time to check out what careers are out there that match your interests. As part of the Interest Assessment, you’ll see a list of careers and majors that match your test results.
You can also do some research on other careers here. This includes:
- Career Clusters and Pathways
- Growing careers in MN
- MN emerging careers and skills
- Unique career paths
- MN Workforce needs from employers
- Career videos
- Career planning resources
At the same time, explore the 90+ program options that SCTCC offers while reviewing your assessment results and other research: Degrees & Programs at SCTCC
After learning more about yourself and occupations that match your interests and preferences, a short list of occupations will result. The process to select a major (or academic program) is unique to each individual. Choose one or more of the options below to help you with this process:
- Create a pro/con list to evaluate which academic program or major is right for you based on your preferences
- Have career conversations with people who work in your short list of careers.Often referred to as informational interviews, prepare a list of questions to ask, follow up with a thank you card and review what you learned to help you decide.
Try out a class or two in your area of interest, volunteer, and/or job shadow someone working in the career field of interest.
Work with your academic advisor or Career Services to come up with next steps to pursue your career of choice.
- Make sure you have updated your academic program on file with the college. More info on change your program status can be found here.
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your plans.
- Career questions? Check with Career Services for assistance. Call 320-308-5926 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by Northway Building room 1-448.